NOVA Relief Center's Mission
At NOVA Relief Center our mission is to unite the strength of those in Northern Virginia and beyond, to improve the quality of life for
- Refugees and those in desperate circumstances abroad, as well as
- Our own neighbors–refugees, political asylum seekers and others in need.
We will do this by
- Continuing the successful Northern Virginia blanket and clothing drive–sending lifesaving items to refugees who have been displaced in countries throughout the world.
- Providing direct support to local refugees, political asylum seekers, and others in need, including
- Collecting and distributing items needed for sustaining family life, and
- Supporting other non-profit organizations in serving local refugees.
Blanket & Coat Drive for Syrian Refugees 2017
Since the beginning of the Syrian civil war in 2011 which has left an estimated 400,000 people dead, Syrians have been trying to escape the tumult at home and trying to find a safe haven in a different land, especially in the neighboring countries (Turkey, Iraq, Jordan and Lebanon).
One of the biggest challenges these people face is the harsh winter conditions which make an already dire situation even worse. Having seen the troubles they’re facing with firsthand, organizations like Embrace Relief and volunteer groups in the US have been collecting blankets and winter clothing for them for the last three years.
Last year 40,000 blankets and 33,000 winter coats were collected in over 100 drop-off sites all over the country. NOVA Relief Center will be sponsoring the Blanket and Coat Drive 2017 for the Northern Virginia region. You can help make this another successful event by either contributing blankets and/or coats, by making a donation, and by volunteering. This year, with the donated services of Paxton Van Lines and Maersk Line, all items will be shipped to the refugees in Lebanon.